Thursday, November 26, 2009

What I lost in the back seat of a taxi

A friend of ours was just cheated on. They'd been together for three years and she thought that they were madly in love. Since she found out (as these things inevitably do get found out--a stray text, a small world), he's been calling daily, filled with remorse. At the emergency girls night, reactions ranged from moral outrage to mutilation suggestions, but there was a definite consensus that she was Better Off Without Him. But later, alone, she confessed something to me she felt she couldn’t say to the army of girlfriends who had so powerfully come out in support of her: she didn't know if she wanted it to be over. Was she really Better Off Without Him?

Like cancer or depression, everyone knows someone who's been cheated on. The statistics, if Cleo magazine is to be believed, are horrifying--two thirds of men claim to have cheated on a partner at least once in their lives. That means that two out of every three guys you know have cheated or are cheating. Are you freaking kidding me?!

For me, it was the love of my life, or at least, I believed he was. The girl he cheated on me with was a mutual friend. She'd once sat on my couch, shared wine from my cellar, and eaten a home-cooked dinner at my table. She then went on to have sex with the love of my life in the back seat of a taxi.

He too, called me daily begging for forgiveness, bombarding me with flowers and texts. But aside from the numbing horror and heartache, I was overwhelmed with shame. The shame was twofold. First was the shame of being cheated on. Was I so awful, so repulsive and unlovable, that the love of my life would prefer to have sex with a random slut in the back seat of a taxi than come home to me? Every time I closed my eyes, all I could see was the two of them in that cab. But then there was also the truth that I, like my friend, wasn't sure I wanted it to be over. Unfaithful or not, I loved him.

When I finally took him back, I had to endure the outrage and warnings of everyone around me. I was made to feel like a fool for even considering forgiving him. I felt ashamed that I took him back, like I was some weak, pathetic, spineless girl too naïve to see reality.

I wasn’t.

It feels like everyone expects you to behave in a particular way when you’re cheated on. But the truth was that my anger wasn’t enough to drown out my agony...or my love. I believed him when he said that it was a stupid drunken mistake.

The other issue for me was the tendency for people to exonerate her, to say, "Well, it's not her fault, she didn't do anything wrong, he was the one that was cheating," but I find that argument in the same vein as "I didn't do anything wrong, it was the Nazis that killed the Jews, I just stood by and watched." You know it's wrong, and you let it happen anyway. (BTW, she was living with her boyf.)

It was the lasting damage I didn’t count on. When he cheated on me, he took something from me I can never reclaim. Aside from my self-esteem and my self-worth, he also took my ability to trust. Something sacred was forever stolen from me, by both of them. To this day, my first instinct is to distrust. I wish I could change this, but I fear that all of my future lovers will be punished by what I lost forever in the backseat of a taxi I’ve never been in.

As for her, I always wonder why she did it. I would love to say that I wish her all the best. But sadly, I don't. We still run into each other occasionally, in our very small city, and every time I see her all I wish her is herpes.

9 comments:

  1. - I hope she has herpes too!

    Cheaters, Schmeaters - I know it's easier said than done, but the best revenge is to come out the other end happy and whist what happened totally sucks, you have come out of this the stronger and wiser woman - one with some very decent blogging material to boot!

    And please don't stop wearing you heart on your sleeve, it completes your outfit urban detective. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too cute chick!

    My heart's a bit MIA at the moment, but hopefully, if it's going to be returned to me, it'll be in one piece. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you know what I think on this one. For your first instinct to be distrust is highly unfortunately, and though I empathise with your situation, I think you also understand that being the guy who's gone through what I've gone through...yeah, I hope all the girls in the world would have TRUST as their first instinct...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what happened with the guy?

    I have been cheated on numerous times (by two different guys) and in each case, it took a small catastrophe before I finally cut them loose.

    In the most recent case, I became friends with his "other girlfriend." (Both of us girls were unaware of the real situation.)

    That was a pretty good revenge, but I'll still never trust so easily again. It sucks to think that you can be such a shitty judge of character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annik, your story is SO typical of what I'm hearing from all of my girlfriends--it really doesn't fill me with hope! On the other hand, love the ending, the revenge is awesome!

    As for the guy, he and I broke up a year later, after which I dated a series of boys who were apparently attracted to the "I'm a doormat, use me" sign I had accidentally taped to my forehead.

    I've taken it down now, spread the word! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is hardcore. On one hand I'm deeply disturbed; on the other there's something entirely enlightening about what you write.

    But... you need to hang out with morons less.

    Annik, too.

    It will be good for you.

    If you keep hanging out with 'stupid men' - as your tag calls out - well.. there's a metaphor involving dancing and 2 people or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boogieman, that would work if the morons had "DOUCHEBAG" tattoed on their foreheads, but alas, it is not so simple. Some are particularly skilled at deception..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What if they just dressed like this?
    http://bit.ly/6I4Bf1

    ReplyDelete
  9. If they just dressed like that, I'd probably date them. Two reasons:

    1. I'm secretly a chubby-chaser. Love the dough.

    2. At least he's honest, which is more than I can say for my last boyf.

    And as Annik said, I'll bet that guy comes across as relatively normal in a workplace/at Ryan's Bar/on a first date. Usually it's just when you start feeling smug that they whip out the douchbaggery.

    ReplyDelete